Mexican food has to be one of the best make ahead of time meal options around. A dish that can be loaded with veggies, protein and usually a solid carb base.
Our latest meal inspiration, courtesy of the team at Tasty, comes in the form of burrito bowls. While made with chicken, feel free to substitute with any other protein option you fancy, including firm tofu!
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 bell peppers, any color, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning Salt and pepper
- 1 jar salsa
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, divided
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat.
- Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips. Add a base of brown rice to 4 food storage containers.
- Top each with a scoop of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
Store in the refrigerator (and enjoy any extras immediately).
Can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Meal-prep FTW! Enjoy!